Visit FOD to watch the videos of Ray answering Qs.
- How tall is David? 8′11… he just looks shorter! I believe that there’s a mistake here. David should be tall 7’11, i.e about 1,8m.
- Ray has been working for over 20 years as a tour and production manager with artists such as Devo and Smashmouth.
- The funniest moment with David: when they were in Kuala Lumpur at a venue trying to figure out where to go, and David was in a state of awestruck wonder, trying to understand that all of this (the fans, the venue, the big fuss) was for him.
- The scariest moment with David: “There are a lot of scary moments when we’re in situations that are not easily controlled.” One that stands out in Ray’s mind is the airport in Malaysia when they were trying to leave. “There was not one single person who wasn’t trying to get in front of him, grab him, hold him, block him.”
- When responding about David’s relationship with fans, Ray said “David, more than any artist I’ve ever been with, spends a huge amount of time going through fan gifts and letters just trying to please the fans.” That’s why Ray is so vigilant about protecting David’s few precious moments of private time; he witnesses the fact that David has virtually no time to himself all day and is pulled in so many different directions. Ray is so impressed with how much David’s fans genuinely care about David, and the feeling is reciprocated.
- Most fans are very respectful, but there are some who won’t take “no” for an answer and don’t seem to get that the need to move away from an area when they are told to. David loves to spend time with fans–he gives as much of himself as he can give in a 24-hour day, so fans should respect it when Ray says to move on. [Editorial note from Jenny: please, I'm begging you, fans, don't wait by the bus before or after concerts when Ray tells you to leave. David may see this and feel bad/obligated, when actually what he desperately needs and deserves is quiet time to rest and relax. Think of David and remember that he is a person, not a machine.]
- Gift suggestions for future concerts: DONATIONS to David’s favorite charities! [Rising Star Outreach, MS Foundation, Invisible Children, SU2C, and Make-A-Wish, to name a few.] He has an incredible number of gifts and feels obligated to go through each one. “I’ve never seen anybody with so many scarves in my entire life,” Ray noted. David is “genuinely touched” by all of the gifts but is understandably overwhelmed by them and out of space. This is why a donation to a charity is the perfect gift.
- Continue reading »